Monday, December 13, 2010

Course Contract 3 and Thank You!!!

I believe that I did a good job of meeting my three goals.

My first goal was to stay caught up in all of my classes. This did not go so well at the beginning of the semester. I am use to history classes where we have a midterm and a final and a term paper and that is it. I virtually have spent the last 2 1/2 years with very little homework. What reading I did have I was able to either glean or do between my breaks at school. This was the first semester where I actually had to do homework nightly and it took me by surprise a little bit. But, by the middle of October I was able to get my act together and I got caught up. By Thanksgiving I had my two term papers done, my Unit plan done, and most of my field response journal for this class done. I did not have to do a single ounce of homework over Thanksgiving.

My second goal was to really value the class. I think that this has been one of the best classes I have ever taken. I have learned so much not only about how people learn but how I learn and how I teach. I have found this subject to be fascinating. I was concerned at first because I find the concept of learning how people learn to be a very abstract one, but I have taken so much out of this class. I also feel like I have a way better understanding of what will be expected of me when I become a teacher.

My third goal was to enjoy my field work. I know that this sounds stupid and silly but I have found my field work to be extremely stressful for me in the past. I have a very packed schedule with little wiggle room for 15 hours of observation. But I was able to take time off of work and spend 5 days in the classroom. I had a great experience observing. The teacher I observed left me with an open invitation to observe her class anytime I want and to come and teach her class any time I want. I have since been back to take her up on her offer. Sometimes in my curriculum class I find myself going why am I going into this profession, but when I am there teaching I realize why.

I think that next semester I need to stay on my homework like I did this semester. I also will have classes 4 days a week instead of two so I need to spread my work load out differently. I also am only going to take 12 units (that’s all I have left) instead of the usual 16-19 units that I am use to taking. With the lighter work load I need to not slack off. I also need to partake in the extra things going on at school that I do not usually have time to do.

As a summative assessment of the semester I think that this semester has been one of my busiest, but one of my best and most accomplished. If my last semester can be as good as this one then I will be very pleased with my last year of school. I also can see where I have changed for the better in the way I study and handle school

As a formative assessment for next year I need to take the way I have learned to study and carry it over into the next semester.

I also wanted to say Thank You. You have really made this class enjoyable. I have learned so much and I really do appreciate every thing you have done for me in this class.

No comments:

Post a Comment